PUMC Book Group: Sharing Books That Feed the Mind and the Soul
Meeting monthly online
Discussing books that have a spiritual thread or confront social and moral issues
All are welcome
There are spots still available for this group! The more the merrier!
Session runs about an hour and a half
Conversation Starters provided
Book group members are asked to bring a title suggestion for the following month’s meeting – a book not read, but intriguing – be prepared to do a short book talk about the title – we vote the next title and off we go!
All are welcome! If you would like to join the discussion, just let the church know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave an email address for contact info and then expect an email reminder of the book group meeting a week before.
Books can be ordered through on-line bookstores, downloaded through the public library or the NH State library, accessed through Kindle downloads, or ordered through Toadstool Bookstores for curbside pickup at the store. Resources available for purchasing books at a discount.
Keep calm and read on!
For more details contact Susan Lindquist (consult your directory) or the church office
- PUMC Book Group April – The Keeper of Lost ThingsThe next meeting of the PUMC Book Group will be on Tuesday, April 27th at 1:30 PM. The April book will be The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. Follow a link to see what the book is all about … and join us, if you would like to be a part of the discussion! ...
- PUMC Book Group March – The Beekeeper of AleppoThe next meeting of the PUMC Book Group will be on Tuesday, March 30th at 1:30 PM. The March book will be The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri. Follow a link to see what the book is all about … and join us, if you would like to be a part of the discussion! ZOOM invites ...
- PUMC Book Group February – Leaving Church – A Memoir of FaithThe next read for the PUMC Book Group will be Leaving Church – A Memoir of Faith by Barbara Brown Taylor. The group will meet via ZOOM on Tuesday, February 23rd @ 1:30 PM. This month’s read follows Barbara Taylor’s journey from leading a large urban congregation in Atlanta GA to a smaller congregation in Clarksville, ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: Is There a Doctor in the Barn?The PUMC Book Group will be meeting on January 26th @ 1:30 PM via ZOOM. Join us as we discuss Elizabeth Yates’ book, Is There a Doctor in the Barn? Yates’ book is a portrait of Dr. Forrest Tenney, a well-known Peterborough veterinarian. Those who are native to Peterborough and the surrounding towns may ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: The Giver of StarsThe next meeting of the PUMC Book Group will be a ZOOM on Tuesday, December 29th @ 1:30 PM. December’s book will be a historical novel about the packhorse librarians of the 1930’s. The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes builds a story around five young women from different walks of life who come together ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: Blood of the ProdigalThe next meeting of the PUMC Book Group will be via ZOOM on Tuesday, November 24th @ 1:30 PM. ZOOM invites are sent out on the day before the meeting, so if you would like to join this month’s book discussion, let Susan Lindquist know (contact the church office for contact info). The book title for ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: To Kill a MockingbirdPUMC BOOK GROUP – To Kill a Mockingbird Get ready for a true classic read in October! Start by watching the movie or read the book first! To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee’s novel was a sensational when it was published in 1960, winning the Pulitzer Prize and becoming one of the finest additions to middle ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: The Essex SerpentPUMC BOOK GROUP – The Essex Serpent Next Book Zoom Chat on Tuesday, September 29th @ 1:30 PM The September read for PUMC’s book discussion group will be The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. Set in late 19th century England, this is a story of the collision between traditional religious thought and local mythic folklore, scientific exploration ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: Saints For All OccasionsPUMC BOOK GROUP – Saints For All Occasions Next Book ZOOM Chat on Tuesday, June 30th @ 1 PM Book Chats have been pretty good of late! It’s nice to see everyone’s face and to wrap our brains around ideas, characters, author’s messages, social issues, and good plot line. If you’re looking to have a summertime reading ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: A Well-Behaved WomanThe next book discussion for the PUMC Book Group will be held on Tuesday, May 26th @ 1 PM. The group will be discussing A Well-Behaved Woman – A Novel of the Vanderbilts by Therese Anne Fowler. The story follows the marriage of Alva Smith to William K. Vanderbilt, Cornelius’ grandson and the older brother ...
Some of our PUMC Book Group titles have included:
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towle
- A Well-Behaved Woman – A Novel of the Vanderbilts by Therese Anne Fowler
- An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive and an Unlikely Meeting With Destiny by Laura Schroff
- The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri
- Blood of the Prodigal by P L Gaus
- The Book of Lights by Chaim Potok
- Broken For You by Stephanie Kallos
- The Children’s Crusade by Ann Packard
- The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
- The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes
- The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis
- H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald
- Harry’s Trees by Jon Cohen
- The Hidden Light of Northern Fires by Daren Wang
- Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J D Vance
- How Hackleburg Became a 13-Pie Church by Riley B Case
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- Is There a Doctor in the Barn? by Elizabeth Yates
- Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
- The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan
- Leaving Church by Barbara Brown Taylor
- Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
- Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
- The Rise of the Rocket Girls by Nathalia Holt
- The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks
- Shanghai Faithful – Betrayal and Forgiveness in a Chinese Christian Family by Jennifer Lin
- Saints For All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan
- The Soul of an Octopus – A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery
- The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve
- The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller
- Take This Bread by Sara Miles
- The Baker’s Secret by Stepehn P Kiernan
- The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín
- Theophilus North by Thornton Wilder
- The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- The Words of Florence Nightingale – Lesser Saint, Philosopher, Social Activist, Political Reformer, and Accidental Nurse by Anne G. Peirce
- Writing in the Sand – Jesus and the Soul of the Gospels by Thomas Moore