PUMC Book Group: Sharing Books That Feed the Mind and the Soul
Meeting monthly online
Discussing books with a religious thread
All are welcome
There are spots still available for this group! The more the merrier!
Session runs about an hour and a half
Conversation Starters provided
Book group members are asked to bring a title suggestion for the following month’s meeting – a book not read, but intriguing – be prepared to do a short book talk about the title – we vote the next title and off we go!
All are welcome! If you would like to join the discussion, just let the church know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave an email address for contact info and then expect an email reminder of the book group meeting a week before.
Books can be ordered through on-line bookstores, downloaded through the public library or the NH State library, accessed through Kindle downloads, or ordered through Toadstool Bookstores for curbside pickup at the store. Resources available for purchasing books at a discount.
Keep calm and read on!
For more details contact Susan Lindquist (consult your directory) or the church office
- PUMC Book Group Online: The Giver of StarsThe next meeting of the PUMC Book Group will be a ZOOM on Tuesday, December 29th @ 1:30 PM. December’s book will be a historical novel about the packhorse librarians of the 1930’s. The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes builds a story around five young women from different walks of life who come together ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: Blood of the ProdigalThe next meeting of the PUMC Book Group will be via ZOOM on Tuesday, November 24th @ 1:30 PM. ZOOM invites are sent out on the day before the meeting, so if you would like to join this month’s book discussion, let Susan Lindquist know (contact the church office for contact info). The book title for ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: To Kill a MockingbirdPUMC BOOK GROUP – To Kill a Mockingbird Get ready for a true classic read in October! Start by watching the movie or read the book first! To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee’s novel was a sensational when it was published in 1960, winning the Pulitzer Prize and becoming one of the finest additions to middle ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: The Essex SerpentPUMC BOOK GROUP – The Essex Serpent Next Book Zoom Chat on Tuesday, September 29th @ 1:30 PM The September read for PUMC’s book discussion group will be The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. Set in late 19th century England, this is a story of the collision between traditional religious thought and local mythic folklore, scientific exploration ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: Saints For All OccasionsPUMC BOOK GROUP – Saints For All Occasions Next Book ZOOM Chat on Tuesday, June 30th @ 1 PM Book Chats have been pretty good of late! It’s nice to see everyone’s face and to wrap our brains around ideas, characters, author’s messages, social issues, and good plot line. If you’re looking to have a summertime reading ...
- PUMC Book Group Online: A Well-Behaved WomanThe next book discussion for the PUMC Book Group will be held on Tuesday, May 26th @ 1 PM. The group will be discussing A Well-Behaved Woman – A Novel of the Vanderbilts by Therese Anne Fowler. The story follows the marriage of Alva Smith to William K. Vanderbilt, Cornelius’ grandson and the older brother ...
- Book Group at PUMC begins!Sharing Books That Feed the Mind and the Soul Our inaugural book group meeting will be on Thursday, June 11th 7pm in the fellowship room at the church. The book is Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger. The group is open to new folks… future meetings will be agreed on by members, as we look at ...
Some of our PUMC Book Group titles have included:
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towle
- A Well-Behaved Woman – A Novel of the Vanderbilts by Therese Anne Fowler
- An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive and an Unlikely Meeting With Destiny by Laura Schroff
- The Book of Lights by Chaim Potok
- Broken For You by Stephanie Kallos
- The Children’s Crusade by Ann Packard
- Chinese Christian Family by Jenner Lin
- The Essex Serpent
- The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis
- H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald
- Harry’s Trees by Jon Cohen
- The Hidden Light of Northern Fires by Daren Wang
- Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J D Vance
- How Hackleburg Became a 13-Pie Church by Riley B Case
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
- Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
- Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
- The Rise of the Rocket Girls by Nathalia Holt
- The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks
- Shanghai Faithful – Betrayal and Forgiveness in a
- Saints For All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan
- The Soul of an Octopus – A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery
- The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve
- The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller
- Take This Bread by Sara Miles
- The Baker’s Secret by Stepehn P Kiernan
- The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín
- Theophilus North by Thornton Wilder
- The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- The Words of Florence Nightingale – Lesser Saint, Philosopher, Social Activist, Political Reformer, and Accidental Nurse by Anne G. Peirce
- Writing in the Sand – Jesus and the Soul of the Gospels by Thomas Moore