PUMC Book Group: Sharing Books That Feed the Mind and the Soul
Meeting monthly online
Discussing books that have a spiritual thread or confront social and moral issues
All are welcome
There are spots still available for this group! The more the merrier!
Session runs about an hour and a half
Conversation Starters provided
Book group members are asked to bring a title suggestion for the following month’s meeting – a book not read, but intriguing – be prepared to do a short book talk about the title – we vote the next title and off we go!
All are welcome! If you would like to join the discussion, just let the church know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave an email address for contact info and then expect an email reminder of the book group meeting a week before.
Books can be ordered through on-line bookstores such as IndieBound, downloaded through the public library or the NH State library, accessed through Kindle downloads, or ordered through Toadstool Bookstores for curbside pickup at the store. Resources available for purchasing books at a discount.
Keep calm and read on!
For more details contact Susan Lindquist (consult your directory) or the church office
- PUMC Book Group March – Marilla of Green Gables – Sarah McCoyPUMC Book Group – Next Meeting on Tuesday, March 20th @ 1:30 PM – hybrid, PUMC Fellowship Room and Zoom. Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy The next meeting of PUMC’s Book Group will be on Monday, March 20th at 1:30 PM. The meeting will be a hybrid meeting, meaning we’ll be at the church fellowship ...
- PUMC Book Group February – The Daughter of Doctor Moreau – Silvia Moreno-GarciaPUMC Book Group – Next Meeting on Tuesday, February 20th @ 1:30 PM – PUMC Fellowship Room. The Daughter of Doctor Moreau – Silvia Moreno-Garcia All are welcome! If you would like to join the discussion, just let the church know at email@example.com. Leave an email address for contact info and then expect an email reminder of ...
- PUMC Book Group January – These Granite Islands and Chasing EdenPUMC Book Group – Next Meeting on Tuesday, January 16th @ 10 AM – PUMC Fellowship Room or via Zoom *Note date time to 10am These Granite Islands – Sara Stonich Chasing Eden – Howard Mansfield All are welcome! If you would like to join the discussion, just let the church know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave an email address ...
- PUMC Book Group September – The House on Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper and The Girl With the Louding Voice by Abi DaréPUMC Book Group – Next Meeting on Tuesday, September 20th @ 1:30 PM – PUMC Fellowship Room. The PUMC Book Group takes a summer break in July and August. Take your time over the summer to read two books, and we will discuss them come September. The September discussion of PUMC Book Group will center on The ...
- PUMC Book Group June – Shuggie Bain by Douglas StuartPUMC Book Group – Next Meeting on Tuesday, June 21st @ 1:30 PM – PUMC Fellowship Room. The June discussion of PUMC Book Group will center on Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart. Copies are available online, through Audible, in libraries, from local and online book stores. Grab a copy and join us in June! https://www.indiebound.org/book/9780802148506 All are welcome! ...
- PUMC Book Group May – Travels with George by Nathaniel PhilbrickPUMC Book Group – Next Meeting on Tuesday, May 17th @ 1:30 PM – PUMC Fellowship Room. The May discussion of PUMC Book Group will center on Travels with George, Nathaniel Philbrick’s retracing of the steps of George Washington’s 1789/1790 Inaugural tour of the new republic. Part travelogue, art history lesson, part snapshot of current social ...
- PUMC Book Group April – Miss Eliza’s English Kitchen by Annabel AbbsAfter a serious discussion surrounding the book, Shaking the Gates of Hell, the group decided that a much lighter read is needed for the next book. Interest was captured by a quick description of Miss Eliza’s English Kitchen by Annabel Abbs. It is a light story about friendship and class struggle during the Victorian era. Think ...
- PUMC Book Group March – Shaking the Gates of HellShaking the Gates of Hell- A Search for Family and Truth in the Wake of the Civil Rights Revolution by John Archibald The next book up for discussion is John Archibald’s memoir of growing up during the turbulence of the civil rights revolution of the late 50’s and 60’s in Alabama. John, the son and grandson ...
- PUMC Book Group February – The Tea Girl of Hummingbird LaneOur Book Group choice for February is The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See. This book is readily available on Audio, Kindle, through used book stores, and on the state library system – plus through your local library! Feel free to join the February ZOOM meeting of the PUMC Book Group on Tuesday, ...
- PUMC Book Group December – The Christmas Kid and Other Brooklyn Stories by Pete HamillPUMC BOOK GROUP – Next Zoom Chat on Tuesday, December 21st @ 1:30 PM The December read for PUMC’s Book Group will be a series of short stories written by Pete Hamill called The Christmas Kid and Other Brooklyn Stories. Return to post-WWII Brooklyn to meet a cast of colorful characters living their lives in the ...
Some of our PUMC Book Group titles have included:
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towle
- A Well-Behaved Woman – A Novel of the Vanderbilts by Therese Anne Fowler
- An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive and an Unlikely Meeting With Destiny by Laura Schroff
- The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri
- Blood of the Prodigal by P L Gaus
- The Book of Lights by Chaim Potok
- Broken For You by Stephanie Kallos
- Chasing Eden by Howard Mansfield
- The Children’s Crusade by Ann Packard
- The Christmas Kid and Other Brooklyn Stories by Pete Hamill
- The Daughter of Doctor Moreau by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
- The Girl With the Louding Voice by Abi Daré
- The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes
- The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis
- H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald
- Harry’s Trees by Jon Cohen
- The Hidden Light of Northern Fires by Daren Wang
- Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J D Vance
- The House on Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper
- How Hackleburg Became a 13-Pie Church by Riley B Case
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- Is There a Doctor in the Barn? by Elizabeth Yates
- Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
- The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan
- Leaving Church by Barbara Brown Taylor
- Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy
- Miss Eliza’s English Kitchen by Annabel Abbs
- Northernmost by Peter Geye
- Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
- Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
- The Rise of the Rocket Girls by Nathalia Holt
- The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks
- Shanghai Faithful – Betrayal and Forgiveness in a Chinese Christian Family by Jennifer Lin
- Saints For All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan
- Shaking the Gates of Hell- A Search for Family and Truth in the Wake of the Civil Rights Revolution by John Archibald
- Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart
- The Soul of an Octopus – A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery
- The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve
- The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- The Survivor: A Novel Based on a True Holocaust Survivor Story by Marcel Möring
- Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller
- Take This Bread by Sara Miles
- The Baker’s Secret by Stepehn P Kiernan
- The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane
- The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín
- Theophilus North by Thornton Wilder
- These Granite Islands by Sara Stonich
- The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Travels with George
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- The Words of Florence Nightingale – Lesser Saint, Philosopher, Social Activist, Political Reformer, and Accidental Nurse by Anne G. Peirce
- Writing in the Sand – Jesus and the Soul of the Gospels by Thomas Moore