We welcome you to join us for our Ash Wednesday Service, Wednesday, February 17, 7 pm EST via YouTube http://bit.ly/pumcyoutube
*Lent To Go Kits may be picked up Saturday, February 13, 1-4 pm EST, OR after that date at the Prayer Box out front, at Peterborough United Methodist Church, 43 Concord Street, Peterborough NH.
IMPOSITION OF ASHES
Please read all of the instructions before the service begins.
You will need the following items in front of you before the service begins:
1. Medium bowl from your kitchen, fill the bowl halfway with fresh water.
2. One pen or pencil for each person
3. Lenten Kit for each participating member, containing:
a. Vial of palm ash and oil
b. Piece of water-soluble paper
c. Battery operated tea light
At the appropriate point during the service, Rev. Card will indicate when you are to begin. Hymns will be played while we remain silent during this portion of the service. Please follow the steps below as they are read aloud and demonstrated:
1. Remove the items from the Lenten Kit and place them on a level surface in front of you.
2. Take the slip of paper and write down the sins or burdens you want God to take from you. When finished, keep them in your closed hand.
3. When directed, take the vial of ash and oil and shake it until the liquid turns black. Unscrew the top to the vial and extract some fluid onto your finger, then make the sign of the cross on your forehead or a family member’s forehead.
4. Repeat the following: “I am dust, unto dust I shall return, repent and believe the Word.”
5. Take the paper and place it into the bowl of water.
6. Turn on your individual tea lights.
7. Turn off the lights in the room.
8. Repeat the following: “Lord Have Mercy on us and remove these things from us, I ask in the name of Jesus, Amen.”
9. Turn the room lights back on.