“When [Jesus] came, he announced the good news of peace to you who were far away from God and those who were near. We both have access to the Father through Christ by the one Spirit. So now you are no longer strangers and aliens. Rather, you are fellow citizens with God’s people, and you belong to God’s household.” ~ Ephesians 3:17-22
Peterborough United Methodist Church is engaging in service locally and abroad with the assistance of diverse aid organizations. You are invited to learn more about these organizations here, and to consider engaging in supporting these efforts personally.
Contribute: Help us serve by completing our two minute Community Needs Assessment
Avenue A Teen + Community Center
The Avenue A Teen Center provides a safe, supervised place for teens to hang out, socialize, and learn new skills! avenueatc.org
We have also had a long relationship supporting missionary Nan McCurdy in Nicaragua. Nan is a United Methodist missionary, called to serve God internationally. Nan and her husband work with the Women and Community Association, which focuses on health, development, and education. umcmission.org
MATS (Monadnock Area Transitional Shelter)
MATS (Monadnock Area Transitional Shelter) is a service, temporary shelter, and advocate for the homeless in our local community. MATS is prepared to assist any person at any time, works to educate the community about homelessness, and depends entirely on grants and donations to fund their work. PUMC has collected and budgeted donations to MATS since 2004. matsnh.org
Monandock Center for Violence Prevention
Monadnock Center for Violence Prevention Monadnock Center for Violence Prevention supports survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking in the Monadnock Region. MCVPrevention.org.
New Life Home
Since 2003, PUMC has been financially supporting the New Life Home for Women. This is a small organization, a residential facility providing care for women striving to break cycles of abuse, drug addiction, and poverty. New Life Home is special because it assists these women without separating them from their families. Over the years, we have received Christmas cards and letters of thanks from these families, who are receiving the gifts of time, training, and the Gospel through the initiative of George and Grace Rosado. newlifehome.org
The River Center
The River Center strengthens individuals and families of the Eastern Monadnock Region through parenting support, free tax preparation and money coaching, and community connections.
Shelter From The Storm
Shelter From the Storm This is a local program providing transitional housing and support services for those who have become homeless due to a variety of circumstances. In the past the church has provided dinners to this organization. In previous years the funds for this came out of the church budget. This shelter is in Jaffrey, NH. ShelterFromtheStormNH.org
World’s Children International
We are proud to sponsor Arun Hanmanthu from India through World’s Children International. This organization is dedicated to providing education, nourishment, and safety to children with HIV/AIDS, rescued from slavery, and otherwise without families. We have received a recent progress report and letter from Arun, and they are posted on the Fellowship Hall bulletin board. We have been sponsoring Arun for two years, and serving through WCI for six. We have not yet raised our annual donation amount this year, which provides for the care and education Arun’s home provides. Arun was orphaned by AIDS. His birthday is June 18, 2004. You can send him letters and paper items like stickers and mazes to: World’s Children International, PO Box 2708, Corvallis OR 97339. worldschildren.org
Watch for upcoming mission opportunities, including our famous electronics recycle day for Goodwill.
We collect food items, pop tabs, and Campbell’s soup labels continually, so your participation in our mission projects can begin today!
*More photos on our Facebook page!
Missions Blog Posts
- School Supplies for Children in NeedSchool days are right around the corner. As part of our local missions outreach, we are pleased to provide school backpacks for the children housed at the local transitional shelters, Monadnock Area Transitional Shelter (MATS) and Shelter From the Storm. Backpacks are currently being ordered for 15 children at these homes. Our mission as the ...
- Peace with Justice SundayPlease join us this Sunday in supporting Peace with Justice. Peacemaking, Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding The gospel is a message of redemption but also of peace and freedom. As Christians, we are called to spread peace, do good and stand for justice. Take a look at the scriptures: “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of ...
- Easter Basket TimeHave you seen the candy, bunnies, and chicks on sale in the stores? It’s Easter Basket time again. One of our local missions projects each year is to give a small basket of goodies to each child in MATS (Monadnock Area Transitional Shelter) in Peterborough and SFTS (Shelter From the Storm) in Jaffrey. We also send ...
- Human Relations SundayWe, as United Methodists, are called to make an impact in communities where our brothers and sisters in Christ lack the resources or tools to reach their God-given potentials. Our gifts are part of building beloved community through faith-based volunteer programs, community developers and programs that work with at-risk teens. For more than ...
- On Mission During the StomStorms hit us when we least expect it… it’s how we respond that’s key. Hunker down or hustle on? Read more about missions work during difficult times, from UMC Disipleship Ministries: https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/articles/on-mission-during-the-storm Continue reading →
- Back to School Supplies Sign Ups 2020Please help out on the mission committee’s ‘Back to School Back Pack and Supplies Drive’! This year, MATS and Shelter From the Storm have given us a list of 17 young students in need of backpacks and supplies! This is a tall order, but we think we can do it with your help! See the list below ...
- Habitat for Humanity UpdateHABITAT FOR HUMANITY UPDATE – TO PATIO OR NOT TO PATIO Monadnock Habitat for Humanity is making great progress on the house in Keene. The framing, roofing and siding are done and windows and doors are in. The plumber and electrician are working there now with insulation scheduled for next week and drywall in mid July. Then ...
- Habitat for Humanity Project Challenge (updated)HABITAT FOR HUMANITY UPDATE The Board of Directors for Monadnock Habitat for Humanity has adopted the recommendation of the Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) organization to put a temporary stop to all building projects under the current COVID-19 safety protocols. Even though New Hampshire has deemed the organization and home building projects to be essential businesses, ...
- UMCOR Sunday is This SundayThis Sunday we are asking for a special collection for UMCOR Sunday! God’s Mission, Our Mission God’s Holy Spirit calls the Church into being for mission. The Church experiences and engages in God’s mission as it pours itself out for others, ready to cross every boundary to call for true human dignity among all peoples. 1 As Jesus ...
- *Cancelled – PUMC Supper Church Worship Service*Due to some scheduling conflicts we have canceled this Supper Church. See you next time! All are welcome and encouraged to come, including families and children. The service will consist of music, a short scripture reading and message, and time for discussion. The guided-question discussion that will follow the message and scripture reading is intended to ...