This quilt is donated by a member of the Peterborough United Methodist Church Quilters. Its fabrics come from the line called ‘Count Your Blessings’ by Kathy Schmitz for Moda Fabrics. It measures just about 57” x 75” – a generous lap quilt, suitable for the back of the couch or the foot of a bed. The quilt is machine pieced and long arm machine quilted. The quilting design is a meandering line with random hearts. The quilt block is called ‘You’ve Got Mail’ because of the open envelope design. The binding is hand finished.
‘You’ve Got Mail’ is considered a utilitarian quilt; it’s meant to be used and loved. It is made with cotton fabrics and cotton batting and is washable on a gentle cycle with gentle detergent. It is advised that it be dried over a drying rack in a well-ventilated area (the back yard in the shade on a breezy day is perfect). The quilt can be ‘finished and fluffed’ in a dryer for a short time on a gentle setting. It has been washed once to remove sizing, to soften the fabric fibers, and to check for fabric ‘bleeding’. All is well.
Rules for the Silent Auction:
1. This silent auction is open to any and all interested folks.
2. The reserve or starting bid on this quilt is $50. That covers a small portion of the materials (quilt block fabric, batting, backing fabric, quilting fee) and is a fair starting off point.
3. Bidding: To make a bid, place your name and a phone number at which you can be reached beside your bid on the clipboard at the church. The clipboard is located on the table in front of the quilt display. If you would prefer to bid on-line, please ‘message’ your bid with your name and phone number and bid amount to the church’s FB page or send your bid info via the church’s website contact link. Your bid will be added to the clipboard at the church as it comes in.
The current high bid is $175.
4. The auction will run from November 23rd through December 22nd. On Sunday December 22nd, final bids will be collected and the auction will close at 2 PM. The winner will be notified and the quilt will be delivered to its forever home on Monday, December 23rd or as close to that day as possible.
5. Payment for the quilt should be made by check to “Peterborough United Methodist Church”. ‘Quilters Group’ should be written on the check memo line for the benefit of the church treasurer.